Riffing on last week's wildflower idea, I did a mixed bouquet this week. I started with a black egg to draw the "bones" of the flowers: stems, petals and leaves. After washing back down to white, I used a large sized delrin kistka to apply wax on the yellow, orange, green, dark green and red layers. I was looking for a blobby and imprecise "not staying in the lines" feel which is hard to achieve with the fine points of my electric kistky. I think that paintings of wildflower scenes are better when they suggest rather than illustrate - too much detail and precision makes it look like an awkward family photo. After red, I washed the egg back down to white and then dipped in vinegar for a while for a light etch to pop the flowers a bit more from the background.
And just a quick reminder: I have a basic Pysanky workshop scheduled for Saturday, October 16. Contact me if you are interested - the basic details are on the upper right side of the blog. It's coming up quickly!