A contemporary egg today, in pinks and grays. This is my "hollyhocks" design. I have been enjoying making this is different colorways all week. I started with a dyed-black egg for the main outlines, then etched it with vinegar to white. I outlined the center petals in white, then dyed the egg dark red. After filling in the central circle, I rinsed the color to get the medium pinkish-red for the middle circle, and then rinsed again to get the outer lighter pink circle. Next I worked on the stems. I decided to do purple and teal - I have a tendency to always choose green for stems and leaves and that is just a bit boring and predictable. I like how you can see the red outlines even on the stem - I really only notice that etching edge when I use red. I will have to keep an eye out and see if other colors leave a trace on the wall of the etch.
I like the way it turned out - it looks like hollyhocks on a stormy day.
And here's a few photos of the other colorways:
And all of them together; a little flower garden for this lovely early summer Friday.